Can I integrate one file into another?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Apr 18 09:58:35 EDT 2017

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 11:41 PM, Anita Graves <anitagraves at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Dear GnuCash friends,
>
> I have two separate GC files for two distinct banks, both in Euro currency.  Is it possible to integrate these two files successfully, and how could this be done?
>
> I live on the Mediterranean Island of Cyprus which is politically divided, but the non-political organization whose accounts are the subject of this question covers both sides of the divided Island, hence the Euro accounts of a bank in the Greek south have been kept by me in a separate file, and in the other file, the Euro accounts of a north Cyprus Turkish bank which encompass three kinds of assets:  cash, current, and savings.
>
> Perhaps psychologically I have been influenced by the political division of the Island, but in my logical thinking, I have come to realize that there would be no Gnucash parallel, and thus the Greek Bank account could also be listed as an asset separately in the accounts hierarchy of the Turkish Euro file, and they would be integrated in a file reporting all Euro activity on both sides of the Island.  I don’t know why I didn’t think of this in the first place, but I didn’t, and now I want to know if my attempt at a logical solution is correctly informed by GnuCash.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion or instruction on how to import the Greek bank’s Euro file into the Turkish Euro file?  This would mean that I would have four asset accounts:  Euro cash, Euro Turkish bank current account, Euro Turkish bank savings account, and Greek bank Euro current account (at the present time, there is no Euro cash activity in the Greek south, nor is there a savings account in that same bank).  These latter two, possible Euro cash activity in Greek south, and a savings account in the Greek bank could very easily be accomodated by combining the north & south Euro cash activity into one Euro cash account, and the creation of a new account for Greek bank savings in the proposed account hierarchy.
>
> I hope this has all made sense to other people, as I have attempted to frame my question.  For further information, I use a Mac, rather than Windows, but have had no problems with using GC, which I truly like.

The only way within GnuCash would be to export to CSV and then import the result back into GnuCash. Unfortunately the CSV transaction importer can't handle GnuCash-exported CSV files yet, but it will be able to in the next major release scheduled for the end of the year and for which we'll be doing test releases beginning around the end of June or early July. Worse, the account CSV export and import process is I think largely untested.

If you're skilled with SQL or XML you could try combining the books outside of GnuCash, but that will take considerable care and understanding of the GnuCash data structure.

Regards,
John Ralls