Reply at the top or reply at the bottom?

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.com
Fri Apr 21 10:21:48 EDT 2017

OK, I don't know what "long ago" means, but I will say that as early as
1994 (if not earlier), I was replying at the top of e-mails, and I
didn't see any complaints for years (probably actually not even prior to
2000).  I will also say that this was true in almost every e-mail client
I used, some of which likely no longer exist.  In fact, I never saw
complaints about replying to e-mails like this until I started getting
involved in mailing lists.  Presumably, the etiquette and times being
referred to actually preclude the Internet, involving dial-in BBS and
that sort of thing.  Forums have mostly resolved that issue nicely for
the majority of users (*nix users and users of FOSS programs that come
to Windows and OS X from *nix being the minority [yes, I know OS X is
based off of *nix, but most OS X users don't know that or use FOSS]).  I
agree that in-line responses can be beneficial, but in some cases,
especially involving persons who have any sort of disability that can
hinder their ability to easily find the information that they need or
discern between what is old and new in rich formats (for instance,
colorblindness, legal blindness, full blindness), in-line responses can
have their own set of challenges.  All of that having been said, all one
can really do is reply how they reply, try to struggle through the ways
others reply silently, politely request help/clarification if necessary,
and avoid the seemingly rarer and rarer flame-wars on this topic (to be
clear, by no means am I suggesting that this discussion is devolving
into that).  However, the OP asked about mail clients that make this
easy, and quite frankly, I'm not sure any exist.  Personally, I simply
disable threading and sort my e-mails so I can go to previous e-mails in
their original form in order to read through them.