audit recommendation - dump gnucash??

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Sat Apr 22 08:27:14 EDT 2017

On 4/22/2017 6:41 AM, Liz wrote:

> On the subject of commercial accounting software and bugs Once we
> found a bug in the popular Australian package known by an acronym
> reported it heard nothing whether fixed or not fixed or found to be
> unverifiable. Liz

Since doing this sort of emergency fixing was part of my job, let me
second this. It is going to be a management decision, driven by market
and profit, that decides whether resources will be diverted to fix a
bug. If not many customers affected, scr*w them.

Sorry, I have NEVER in the fine print of any of those commercial
products seen anything where they promise to fix bugs, even critical
ones, in a timely fashion. In fact, they usually have clauses in there
saying that they are NOT liable for damages caused by their software.

But back to that first part. Are these auditors recommending some
commercial product that JUST is for the non-profit market? Because if
not, if a general business accounting package where non-profit customers
are probably only a percent or two of the total, they should be assuming
instead that a bug that affects just non-profits would NOT be addressed
in timely fashion.

Michael D Novack, FLMI