audit recommendation - dump gnucash??

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Tue Apr 25 01:57:51 EDT 2017

Sorry to hear about that, and yes, it does happen.  Different auditors
have different ideas about what constitutes "valid" accounting
software.  I would echo most of the ideas so far, especially the idea
to avoid doing anything that would unnecessarily annoy your main
donor.  You might talk to the donor first, explain the situation, and
mention that a "licenced accounting system" sounds expensive,
especially for a small struggling organisation, and this might require
returning to book keeping in excel.

This kind of question has come up before.  Someone from Sweden (I
think?) wrote to the list about gnucash not meeting some requirement
of their government.  The auditors may be reacting to some
governmental or international regulation (like GAAP); who knows.

What would be helpful is a list of organisations that do use gnucash.
Does such a thing exist?  So far I can find the following:

http://www.mnbar.org/docs/default-source/practicelaw/pm-200-keeping-client-trust-accounts-with-gnucash-2-2-4.pdf

The Minnesota State Bar Association's "Keeping Client Trust Accounts
with GnuCash".  You might download that and get in touch with their
Director of Technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GnuCash

Look under the "Users" section.  You can find gnucash recommended by
"Slaw" (a legal webzine).  Also search through the gnucash user list
for "501(c)3" which are US non-profit organisations.  They range from
very small to quite large, but all 501 organisations must report to
and meet specific guidelines issued by the US Department of Treasury
(Internal Revenue Service).

And of course several million downloads of gnucash, and that's just
the ones from the gnucash web site.

We're all fans of gnucash here, but these other organisations (and
Wikipedia) might be all you need.  It would be better if others on the
list can come up with gnucash users outside of the US, preferably
non-profits like your own in the EU, UK, etc.

Gordon