Question regarding documenting Reversing Transactions

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 09:34:18 EDT 2017

Hello,

Recently, a question about Reversing Transactions was raised on the list, and a discussion about how and what GnuCash implemented this arose. In the process of testing out this feature (which I’ve never used), I noticed that the function creates an identical new transaction on the current date, but with the numbers on splits reversed.

I found this to be a little confusing, as it was very difficult to tell after the fact in the books what had happened, since both transactions had exactly the same descriptions. I was wondering whether in “Old Style” accounting, accountants made any kind of annotation on the reversing transaction to indicate that the second transaction reversed the first. For example, if the first transaction was  “Pay George for work done,” would the reversing transaction say something like “Pay George for work done (REVERSE)” or something?

If so, then I might submit a bug to have this added to the reversing transaction feature, but if not, then I would let it drop.

TIA,
David