Stock quote can't be updated

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Apr 28 15:22:15 EDT 2017

> On Apr 28, 2017, at 10:26 AM, Mick Hartzell <mick.hartzell at mac.com> wrote:
>
> I am also having the same problem.
>
> No stock quote update since 20 April 2017.
>
> ./gnc-fq-dump nyse -v prwcx
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>    symbol: -v                   <=== required
>      date: ** missing **        <=== recommended
>  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
>      last:                      <=\
>       nav:                      <=== one of these
>     price:                      <=/
>  timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> ** This stock quote cannot be used by GnuCash!
>
> =====
>
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>    symbol: prwcx                <=== required
>      date: ** missing **        <=== recommended
>  currency: USD                  <=== required
>      last: 27.89                <=\
>       nav:                      <=== one of these
>     price:                      <=/
>  timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> ** This quote will have today's date, which might be incorrect.
>   GnuCash will use it, but you might prefer that it doesn’t.
>
> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
>
> I changed source to be USA (Yahoo,…) and it made no difference.  Received the same error message.

Both NYSE and USA are aggregate sources that check a series of real sources, beginning with Yahoo!, until they get a result. The first result wins even if it's incomplete. In the case of PRWCX it seems that Yahoo! isn't returning a date. That's unfortunate because GnuCash will use today's date and of course being a mutual fund the price is really the NAV at yesterday's market close.

Being that it's a T. Rowe Price fund you'd think that either the troweprice or troweprice_direct sources would return data for it, but neither does. That's more likely to be because the screen-scraping is broken than that those websites aren't reporting the price on their own funds.

BTW folks, the '-v' goes *before* the source: gnc-fq-dump -v yahoo prwcx

Regards,
John Ralls