Tracking a TIAA mixed fund account

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue Aug 1 01:19:36 EDT 2017

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 10:27 PM, AC <gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:
>
> I'm going to try
> the structure in a new file and see how it behaves.  If everything looks
> ok then I'll recreate the structure in my main file and start entering
> the data.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been doing it that way for years and it’s worked well.

One thing you might want to be aware of is that it works better if you have a separate top level account for each TIAA account.  I have three (a 401A and two 403Bs) and by putting each in  separate account I can import the transaction files I download from the TIAA web site easily.  This makes entering my monthly MDO payout much easier.  The MDO payout is a retirement payment that I’m required by the IRS to take (so they can tax me on it).  It consists of a small sale in each of my funds followed by a transfer to my bank account.  Entering all this by hand is a real pain.

            Mike