Virtual accounts or line items

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 19:15:34 EDT 2017

What I do is keep two register views open on the 'parent' account, one
'with sub-accounts' which shows the totals as seen by the bank and one
normal register view which shows the amount not dedicated to the 'virtual'
sub-account(s).

As suggested in the thread that you cited, I do not tell the bank anything
about the 'virtual' sub-account(s) transactions, so they will never appear
in an imported transaction list and thus they are never 'cleared' via the
import.  While it is not required to have a register view open during an
import, I always do, because I have a lot of cases where the import process
makes matching mistakes or incorrect transfer account assignments if I do
not monitor it.

In any case, my reconciliation is intended to verify transactions with the
bank, and it still works correctly in the 'with sub-accounts' register
view.  The 'Include Sub-Accounts option is not required.  I then look in
the 'virtual' sub-account(s) register(s) and I can reconcile them
separately.  For those accounts the reconciliation only tells me that I am
satisfied with those transactions.

As for budgeting, I do not use that feature, so I cannot comment.

David C