Importing Memo data via QIF

Jeffrey Black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 19:52:49 EDT 2017

Thomas Young wrote
> I have been unable to import data in the M field using QIF import.
> Everything else imports OK, but the Memo data does not import. How do I
> import the Memo field data using QIF import?

Thomas:

I am no expert on this but; despite what the documentation says on QIF
format files the order of the fields is important.  Especially if you use
split transactions.  I learned that the hard way converting CSV files to
QIF.  If you have one from your financial institution that you can look at
with a text editor a simple QIF file will make more sense.  Oh, and the
first few lines of the file have to tell what kind of account we are dealing
with.  Shortest might be:

!Type:Bank

Without seeing a sample of your file it is hard to say what the problem is.
First go up to the menu and select View then either Auto-split or
Transaction journal.  Select one of the records you imported and see if the
memo is showing up any place you did not expect it to.

If it is not using split transactions then the only problem I ran into was
to make sure the "M" was the last field before the "^" record separator.

If the file is using split transactions then the "M" must occur before the
splits.  In the files I have "M" is before the first split "L".  The memo
for a split is "E" and must immediately follow the "L" category and "S"
categories respectively.

--JEffrey