Recording a stock demerger....

gc.20.reachmm at neverbox.com gc.20.reachmm at neverbox.com
Tue Aug 8 05:08:10 EDT 2017

Folks,

I'd like to understand how one goes about recording a stock demerger
transaction in GNU cash.
I'd been owning X shares of a company A, which underwent a demerger, which
resulted in all
shareowners of company A, getting shares in Company B in the ratio of 1:1.
So I end up
with X shares each in both company A and B. The cost of acquisition is to
be taken as 60:40%
of the pre demerger cost of acquisition of company A.

I can not record this as a split, since it involves a new company B.
I can not record this as a transfer, since there is no change in the number
of shares in company A
post the demerger (Its just that the acquisition price changes). How do I
handle this?

Thanks,
-Mani