debian stretch upgrade has made gnucash unworkable

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Aug 11 15:02:13 EDT 2017

On vrijdag 11 augustus 2017 20:16:26 CEST johnny saylor wrote:
> hi
>
> i'm not sure what's wrong, but gnucash no longer starts up for me. i've
> attached the screen dump which may help someone smarter than me to
> figure out what's happened.
>
> to reiterate, once i upgraded my debian installation to stretch i've had
> nothing from gnucash. i've tried uninstall and reinstalling ...
>
> any help or pointers would be warmly welcomed.
>
> danke

Hi Johnny,

The error log you have attached indicates a problem with guile 2.0 on your
system. It doesn't even get to starting gnucash. At first glance the guile 2
package is finding scm files that are newer than their compiled counterparts
and so starts recompiling them. That should not happen with guile's own files.

Your best bet is to check with your debian packager for guile what's going on.

Regards,

Geert