advice on software

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Sat Aug 12 07:17:39 EDT 2017

On 8/11/2017 7:31 PM, Chris Tsuji wrote:
>     Hi
>     Hopefully, I did this correct.
>     I am a treasurer of a not profit orgnization and need to decide on
>     using quickbooks or gnucash.
>     The currently use quickbooks but has be be redone.
>     What is your advice?
>     thanks in advance.
>     Chris tsuji
> _
QuickBooks Pro for Non-profits did not contain any of the special things
accounting for non-profits calls for. In other words, you still have to
set that up manually. It is why after a 2006 fire, I chose not to
replace Quickbooks. Since some of the organizations for which I am not
treasurer but do serve on the finance committee use QuickBooks Pro for
Non-profits I can tell you that as of 2017 it STILL has none of the
special non-profit features.

Michael D Novack

just a few examples ---- a non-profit might need the usual "business"
categories of "vendor" and "customer" but it also would have the
category "donor". Pledges are receivables but only according to the
terms of the pledge << a pledge of $1000/year for the next ten years is
NOT an immediate receivable of $10,000 >>  Membership dues (if any) are
NOT a receivable while pledges are, but members usually want some sort
of unified statement.

PLEASE -- I am NOT saying that gnucash has these features, just that you
will have to improvises just as much using QuickBooks so why pay.