Duplicate transactions & OFX imports

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Mon Aug 14 21:35:13 EDT 2017

> On Aug 14, 2017, at 8:53 PM, Actinistia <brinston at ualberta.ca> wrote:
>
> Okay, I removed the expense account for credit payments and just have it as
> transfers between assets and liabilities. I still have the duplicates. Is
> there no way to fix duplicates short of deleting one of them if they make it
> through the importer without getting flagged?

If you’re importing both the bank account and credit card account via ofx, the only way you’ll get duplicate is if you tell gnucash to create a duplicate.

The credit card bill payment is a single transaction with two splits — one in the bank account and one in the credit card account. Since ofx files are generally single-account controlled, both the bank account and the credit card account ofx files  have a transaction for the payment. When you import the second ofx file, you need to check the “R” box for the payment in the General Import Transaction Matcher window (or “U+R” if you’re OK with undo manipulation of your entries). If  you check the “A” box for the same transaction in both imports, you’ll get two copies of the same transaction because you have asked gnucash to create the duplicate.

If you do a manual entry in Gnucash for the payment before you download and import the ofx file (I usually do it this way), then you’ll check the “R” box in the matcher window from both ofx files.

--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com