Version Migration

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 11:49:55 EDT 2017

On 29 August 2017 at 16:36, james <garftd at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Background
> So I've been running on gnucash 2.4.11 for some years.
> it's been great, the only problems were my lack of
> knowledge of finance. I want to migrate to version 2.6.15
> (using gentoo linux).
>

> My only accounting problem is my depreciation does not match
> what the accountant has been doing. They are the authority,
> so It's entries on depreciation that need to be fixed.
>
> Note, I have never 'closed the books' since the beginning because
> I knew I need to fix the depreciation schedules on about (6) items.
> It's a small company. I've been sick off and on for (3) years
> running, so not much actively the last few years. I'm finally
> better and ready to resume active business.

> So, should I fix the depreciation on the new version of gnucash
> (my preferred method) or on the old slow lappy and version 2.4.11?
>

> I'm in the process of installing a laptop to exclusively run gnucash,
> mostly offline (no physical internet) on gentoo linux (fav distro).
>

> Any documents I need to review before doing the migration to the new
> laptop? I have both scp and usb sticks for the migration.
>
> I think I want to use a database now, pgsql.
>
> hit me up with ideas, and whatever make me plan out this migration
> before starting...

If you do not have any saved reports then all you need to is to plug
the usb stick in the old machine, in GC use File > Save As to save
your accounts file to the stick, plug it in the new machine, open GC
and use File > Open to open it from the stick then File > Save As to
save it somewhere appropriate.

Note that the database storage schemes are not yet recommended for
'production' use I believe.

Colin