Version Migration

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Aug 31 15:46:17 EDT 2017

At Thu, 31 Aug 2017 14:29:10 -0400 james <garftd at verizon.net> wrote:

> On 08/31/17 13:35, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> > On 31 August 2017 at 13:33, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> While these solutions will work most of the time they all have the same
> >> risk:
> >> if the snapshot is made while gnucash is updating the db, you end up with
> >> an
> >> inconsistent db file. I don't know how well sqlite3 handles this so the
> >> risk
> >> may be high or low.
> >>
> >> I've done a few spot-checks for consistency and never run into a problem.
> > I don't know this for certain, but it looks as if GnuCash is wrapping each
> > update in a transaction.  If it is doing that, it would ensure that the
> > data written to disk is never inconsistent.
> >

> Since my company is small, I'm sticking with the legacy gnu system, for
> now. That's the permanently offline system I'm in the process of
> migrating too.
>
> Is anyone basically using a USB stick for all records? If so, can you
> just plug that USB stick into any of several different (but same version
> of gnucash), make changes and store all records on a usb 2 or 3 device?
> Then copy usb-stick  for backups?

Should be possible.  A USB stick is just another file system.  There is no
*set-in-stone* reason gnucash's data *has* to be the local system disk.
A given version of Gnucash should behave the same on any number of different
systems.  Generally, the *preferences* (including saved reports) would be
local to each system (since they live in $HOME).  You might need to use the
File->Open menu item to open the data file.

> Like others, I am curious to track the database progress, as well as
> running gnucash on a cluster.
>

> Anyone running many instances of GNUcash on containers, alpine or just
> a bunch of VMs?  I'd be most interested in those experiences too.
> Projects of such  multiplicative offerings of gnucash I could follow?

I have a desktop Linux machine (CentOS 6, x86_64) and a laptop Linux machine
(also 6, x86_64).  Generally I run GnuCash (2.4.15-4.el6) on my desktop Linux
machine.  I do have a procedure (shell script) to rsync the GnuCash data &
prefs onto my laptop on occasion, I run GnuCash (also 2.4.15-4.el6) there and
then rsync the GnuCash data & prefs back to my desktop Linux machine.

I don't know if this counts towards what you are asking.

> James

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933