Help needed: 2.6.17 not building on 32-bit systems

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 31 19:24:18 EDT 2017

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017, John Ralls wrote:

> Please remember to copy the list on all replies.

John,

   Thought I had as that's my normal practice; I apologize for missing this
time.

> It's not reporting a dependency failure, at least not here.

   I read the errors as internal to the gnucash build process.

> libgncmod-report-gnome.so is a build product. When building with autotools
> it should be in your build directory in src/report/report-gnome/.libs;
> there should be a companion file
> src/report/report-gnome/libgncmod-report-gnome.la.

   Yes, it's there:

[rshepard at salmo /opt/gnucash-2.6.17/src/report/report-gnome/.libs]$ ls
dialog-custom-report.o       libgncmod-report-gnome.la@
dialog-report-column-view.o  libgncmod-report-gnome.lai
dialog-report-style-sheet.o  libgncmod-report-gnome.so*
gnc-plugin-page-report.o     swig-report-gnome.o
gncmod-report-gnome.o        window-report.o

> If it's there then there's a problem with the paths being passed to guile
> for compiling whatever is failing. If it's not then that's the problem, so
> find that failure in the output.

   Installed here is guile-2.0.11-i486-2 and the binary is /usr/bin/guile.

   I _think_ this is significant: looking at the build log I see references
to /usr/bin/guild but not to /usr/bin/guile. There is an executable named
'guild' and my web searches do not teach me what that is. I see many calls
to files in /usr/lib/guile/2.0/libguile/.

   May I send the build log (200k) so someone who knows guile well might see
the source of the error?

Thanks,

Rich