How to create an asset with a reduced value compared to my regular currency (dollars)

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 03:20:54 EST 2017

This sounds like an overkill. I'd write the original purchase as:

Asset:Bank -$430
Asset:GiftCard: $500
Expense:Rebates -$70

Whereby Expense:Rebates generally collects anything that was purchased at a
discount, and I wish to record the original price as well as the discount.
So, a discounted laptop could be recorded as:

Asset:Bank -$900
Expense:Electronics $1000
Expense:Rebates -$100

Other strategies are valid.