Invoice & Bill Posting Date Issues Across Multiple Periods

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 21:44:37 EST 2017

Thanks Dave,

I was already operating this way per the insurance issue.

The only difference that I can’t figure out is how to handle pre-billing. (you’ve well described being billed AFTER making that 6 month pre-payment)

I’ve already got the pre-paying and expensing part straight. My issue isn’t the idea of a pre-paid asset, my issue is that it is increasing when I post the bill, not when I pay it. I understand the difference between recording events vs. actual money exchanges but this is a question of ‘when is the event?’

1. When the insurer generates the bill?
2. The date I arbitrarily ‘post’ the bill in GnuCash.(usually the day I enter it, or the ‘effective date’ of service.)
3. The due date of the bill and thus effective date of the beginning of the policy?
4. The date I actually pay the bill and decrease my cash asset?

The problem is that 1&2 are happening in November and May of each year, while 3&4 are usually happening in December & June respectively. Thus, balance sheets for November and May are overstated in the pre-paid asset category.

On the invoicing side of the question, I didn’t think of an ‘unbilled-work’ account. Thanks. I’ll use that.

As for normal post-billed expenses crossing multiple periods I guess the only option is correcting entries, but that sure seems like a limitation of paper that computers should be able to handle more easily. The data is already being entered. It just isn’t being used by the software. I’ll file an enhancement request.

Regards,
Adrien