Invoice & Bill Posting Date Issues Across Multiple Periods

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Fri Dec 15 17:20:21 EST 2017

I have zero experience with gnucash's invoicing system. Nevertheless I
think in this conversation dates may be confused. When I receive an
invoice, say for a visit to the doctor, there are SEVERAL dates involved.

a) The date the service was performed.
b) The effective date of the invoice prepared by the doctor's billing
service.
c) The real time date when the invoice was prepared by the billing service

Which of these dates are we talking about? And from the doctor's point
of view, which of these dates (were we using gnucash) would be used for
the date of the transaction? << when affecting AR >>

When people are talking about periods being crossed "when work done" vs
"when invoice prepared" I wonder whether all are talking about the same
date. And if gnucash IS using the real time date when somebody gets
around to entering data, there may be a different sort of problem.

Michael D Novack