Invoice & Bill Posting Date Issues Across Multiple Periods

Dale Alspach alspachde at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 17:36:49 EST 2017

Adrien,

I do not use the business features but it seems from what you have
written that something like the following may do what you want.

Create a new liability account named Unbilled Payables (or whatever you
like).
Replace
> Dr. Assets:Current_Assets:Pre-Paid_Expenses:Auto_Insurance
> Cr. Liabilities:Accounts_Payable
by
Dr. Assets:Current_Assets:Pre-Paid_Expenses:Auto_Insurance
Cr. Liabilities:Unbilled Payables

There is no change in the Balance Sheet net. The entry in Unbilled
Payables should be tagged so that an audit trail could be constructed.

When the bill arrives, post the bill so that you effect a transfer
between the liabilities
Dr. Liabilities:Unbilled Payables
Cr. Liabilities:Accounts_Payable

Again there is no change in the Balance Sheet net. At this point the
normal flow of the business features should generate your reminder and,
upon payment, zero the liability for the pre-paid insurance. The asset
becomes real.

Dale