MacOS 10.13.2 won't work with Gnucash

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Dec 18 11:08:23 EST 2017

At Mon, 18 Dec 2017 05:56:46 -0700 (MST) "itspmm at gmail.com" <itspmm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did what was suggested with Terminal, although it didn't seem to work
> initially. After I removed the % sign from the command and tried again, this

The '%' is the bash (typical) command prompt.

> is what came up:
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t377801/Gnucash_at_Dec_18_23-52-10.png>
> I'm still not sure I got the command right as I rarely use Terminal. Does it
> mean anything to you?Pat.M

OK, this suggests that there is a processor arch. mismatch.  Is the GnuCash
executable a "universal" binary for both i686 and x86_64?  Does MacOS 10.13.2
still support universal binaries?  Does it drop support for i686?  I presume
that MacOS 10.13.2 supports at least x86_64, and I assume GnuCash has NOT been
compiled for PowerPC or M68K or something like that.

One other thing to try in Terminal:

file Desktop/gnucash/Content/MacOS/gnucash-bin

This will tell us what "flavor" of executable gnucash-bin is (ix86 [32-bit],
x86_65 [64-bit], or a universal binary for both).

And

ldd Desktop/gnucash/Content/MacOS/gnucash-bin

(I am not sure if ldd exists under *BSD [Darwin/MacOSX] -- ldd will tell us
what shared libraries gnucash-bin wants to link with.)

It is also possible that it IS a universal binary for both 32 and 64 bit, but
that your Mac does not have the universal shared binaries it needs, and only
has 64-bit only binaries. It is possible Apple is dropping 32-bit support,
since 32-bit ix86 processors (for laptops and desktops anyway) are not being
made anymore and 64-bit processors are now the norm for laptops and desktops.
(There might be some 32-bit processors being made for low-end embedded device
use -- eg "smart" appliances, etc.  Even ARM chips are mostly 64-bit these
days.)

> --

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933