export general ledger

Jeff Abrahamson jeff at p27.eu
Mon Dec 18 14:06:02 EST 2017

Thanks, Adrien.  In the end, as long as I can automate this, I'll be
happy.  (I haven't fully followed on on the python solution, but it sure
looks like it will work fine, so I've chalked it up as future work for
me rather than potential workflow blocking today.  Always good to have a
project over Christmas.)

Ultimately, it's a user experience issue, and I don't have any vision at
all of what gnucash users expect.  The accounting software I've used
previously was geared towards professional accountants, and some of the
features (like journal entry rather than account entry) I found really
convenient once I got used to them.  Faced with a pile of bills, for
example, it was great to be able to enter them all from their respective
a/p to their respective expense accounts without a single mouse click,
just a steady stream of typing bill numbers, descriptions, amounts, and
debit and credit account numbers.

Again, my perspective is keeping the books for a rowing club.  I'm sure
that matters in terms of what I find convenient or not.

Jeff