Gnucash on Linux Mint

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 21:11:13 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Mon, 18 Dec 2017 15:50:29 -0600 Les <lelliott5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have been using Linux Mint Mate for several years, updating with each
> > incremental release.  Currently at 18.2, planning to upgrade to 18.3
> > shortly.  I get a .deb package from getdeb.net. The latest is 2.6.17
> > which has not been updated for some time.
> >
> > Is any Linux Mint users finding newer packages anywhere.  I would like
> > to update to the last 2.6.19.
>
> You will likely have to download the source and build it yourself.  You
> could
> ask the distro maintainers if they will be pushing a newer version into the
> repo.

A couple of years ago, when I was learning how to test GnuCash packages for
inclusion in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, I had some email exchanges with a volunteer
at getdeb.net, and he encouraged me to help them test GnuCash getdeb
packages, implying they would get into getdeb.net much quicker that way.

I found the process to be fairly easy, though they use a build environment
different from the official Ubuntu process so I got bogged down trying to
understand the technical differences (and my focus at the time was making
sure the LTS package was good). Other projects have distracted me since
then, I'm sorry to say.

In any case, if you find yourself dependent upon getdeb.net, consider
sending them a monetary donation to pay for bandwidth, and also consider
contacting them to see if you can help keep your favorite package(s)
updated.

I believe it's a very small organization, but in my experience they respond
well to kind messages.