bug (?) assigning payment to foreign current account

Paul Neuwirth mail at paul-neuwirth.nl
Fri Dec 22 06:35:47 EST 2017

Hello,
is it worth an official bug report, or am I doing something wrong?
Everything worked, until I changed the type of a place holder account
from A/Payable to Liability, it is the parent of the Account I was
trying to book to. (but reverting the change does not fix)

Here are the screenshots, and description:
(just noticed, the problem exists anywhere, where the corresponding
dialog is used).
right click on booking in bank account, assign as
payment, select vendor, change amount from EUR (EUR 27.43) to value in
GBP (GBP 23.99). https://www.swabian.net/extern/gncml/gnucash9.png

next dialog:
message, that the currencies differ. that's ok
https://www.swabian.net/extern/gncml/gnucash10.png

after clicking ok, it gets unnormal:
https://www.swabian.net/extern/gncml/gnucash11.png
the normally editable exchange rate fields are disabled.
I can only press cancel (then nothing is being done) or click ok:

error, that It could not save to database
https://www.swabian.net/extern/gncml/gnucash12.png
the database error is:
mysql error: Column 'commodity_guid' cannot be null

the entries become inconsistent:
no values on the left side,
on the other side the booking shows up normal (with correct value GBP
23.99).

It is reproducable, also using other currencies, like USD.
the concerned accounts are configured as following:
> SELECT a.name,a.account_type,c.mnemonic,a.hidden,a.placeholder,p.name
> parent FROM gnucash.accounts a join gnucash.commodities c
 on a.commodity_guid = c.guid
  left join gnucash.accounts p on p.guid=a.parent_guid
where a.name IN ('Verbindlichkeiten','Passiva','1601 Verbindlichkeiten
GBP','1602 Verbindlichkeiten USD','Privatkonten
1','Privatentnahmen/-einlagen','1802 private Mastercard') order by
a.code

******************** 1. row *********************
        name: Passiva
account_type: LIABILITY
    mnemonic: EUR
      hidden: 0
 placeholder: 1
      parent: Root Account
******************** 2. row *********************
        name: Verbindlichkeiten
account_type: LIABILITY
    mnemonic: EUR
      hidden: 1
 placeholder: 1
      parent: Passiva
******************** 3. row *********************
        name: Privatentnahmen/-einlagen
account_type: BANK
    mnemonic: EUR
      hidden: 0
 placeholder: 0
      parent: Privatkonten 1
******************** 4. row *********************
        name: Privatkonten 1
account_type: BANK
    mnemonic: EUR
      hidden: 0
 placeholder: 1
      parent: Root Account
******************** 5. row *********************
        name: 1601 Verbindlichkeiten GBP
account_type: PAYABLE
    mnemonic: GBP
      hidden: 0
 placeholder: 0
      parent: Verbindlichkeiten
******************** 6. row *********************
        name: 1602 Verbindlichkeiten USD
account_type: PAYABLE
    mnemonic: USD
      hidden: 0
 placeholder: 0
      parent: Verbindlichkeiten
******************** 7. row *********************
        name: 1802 private Mastercard
account_type: BANK
    mnemonic: EUR
      hidden: 0
 placeholder: 0
      parent: Privatentnahmen/-einlagen
7 rows in set

as I mentioned previously, all I did to let this not work anymore is
changing account_type of "Verbindlichkeiten" (2nd row) from PAYABLE to
LIABILITY - to avoid getting payments on this place holder account. I
have now set it back (and restarted), but the misbehaviour stays.

installed gnucash (on openSUSE Leap 42.2)
> zypper info gnucash
Information for package gnucash:
--------------------------------
Repository     : Main Update Repository
Name           : gnucash
Version        : 2.6.16-3.3.1
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : openSUSE
Installed Size : 25.6 MiB
Installed      : Yes
Status         : up-to-date
Source package : gnucash-2.6.16-3.3.1.src
Summary        : Personal Finance Manager

can anyone reproduce? or understand?

Thank you

--
PaNe Foto