Church Use of GNUCash

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 13:56:53 EST 2017

Excellent; thank you. One more question:

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Mike or Penny Novack <
stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com> wrote:

> The idea is that the money was received into the regular banks accounts
> but sort of not there/available because a corresponding liability. If and
> when money has been expended for a reason which would qualify for the use
> of those funds an adjustment transaction is made for the amount no longer
> restricted. Not necessarily with each expenditure. Possibly only quarterly
> (for the total of qualifying expenses that quarter) but decisions like THAT
> depend on volume.

I'm guessing my liability encumbrances look a bit different from what
you're talking about. In my case, the encumbrance is made like this:

Expense:Discretionary Earnings    x
                  Liabilities:Discretionary             x

And relieved by

Liabilities:Discretionary     x
                Assets:Checking           x

This way, discretionary purchases don't show up directly on profit and
loss, only what I care about: the expense of earning discretionary funds.
What you're talking about is probably populated more like

Assets:Chequing    x
       Liabilities:Organ Fund        x

Then some expense:

Expense:Organ   x
          Assets:Chequing      x

But then how is the encumbrance relieved?

<< an adjustment transaction is made >>  How does that adjustment
transaction look?