Unrealized Gains and Closing Books

ticotexas tkallmer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 13:06:42 EST 2017

I'm preparing for my first year-end closing since starting my use of gnucash.
I understand the method of zeroing expenses and income by transferring to
equity accounts like 2017 Expenses and 2017 Income. Is there also any
similar method to zero Unrealized Gains (that appears on the balance sheet)
to equity? I am thinking it would be nice to start Unrealized Gains at zero
at the new year. I would like to have equity accounts of 2017 Unrealized
Gains, 2018 UG, 2019, etc. as a way to see how my investments grew or lost
every year. Is that possible?