Dealing with a large QIF file

Lincoln A Baxter lab at lincolnbaxter.com
Sun Dec 24 21:08:31 EST 2017

On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 00:46 +0000, cliffhanger at gardener.com wrote:
>    Thanks. Yes one can import one at a time but this cheque ac from
>    Quicken is huge and has references to other card accounts as
> categories
>    within it. These accounts don't exist anymore and gnucash is
> trying to
>    create them as part of the import. This is something I'd like to
> avoid.
>    Hope this makes sense. Cliff

You might want to try editing the QIF file, and change all the
different categories referring legacy card accounts to one name.  Call
it "Legacy Card" or something like that.

In Quicken there was not enforcement of consistency of category
names... Quicken just said "ok" to what ever you put it.  It is pretty
loosy goosy.  But after you get things into GC, you can clean it up. I
was start, as a said, with the pre cleanup.  It is likely to make your
conversion easier.

Lincoln