Dealing with a large QIF file

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 24 22:23:16 EST 2017

Gnucash creates the accounts because you and the transactions used those accounts. Personally, I prefer having all that "clutter," since it represents what happened. Accounting is supposed to track what happened, after all.

Two points: first, you can hide accounts in the Chart of Accounts, which would allow these accounts to exist without disturbing your daily accounting work. Second, you can delete accounts, if that really is your goal; when you delete an account with transactions in it, you get a chance to move them all to an account of your choosing. (I propose that this would be easier than editing the QIF, as another suggests).

Personally, I'd keep the transactions and hide the accounts.

David