Starting a new year

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 2 12:39:36 EST 2017

Ruth Morley <morley.ruth at gmail.com> writes:

> I have started a new file for gnucash to reflect the New Year..I took my
> opening balance on my checking accouunt as the amount in the account on
> January 1. Now of course I have a bank statement that reflects Dec 15
> through Jan 14. How do I do my first reconcile..everything is correct I
> just don't know how to do the reconcile.

Ignore the starting balance; ensure the ending balance is correct.  And
your 'starting balance' transaction *MUST* include *only* your
reconciled Dec / previous transactions.  If there is anything from Dec
31 or earlier that's not reconciled then you need to re-add that
transaction and remove it from the starting balance.

Then reconcile as normal.  Everything in Dec is your opening balance;
everything in January is a normal transaction.

PS: This is one reason why many people don't start new files.  There's
no need to do so, and it causes issues like this.