Starting a new year

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 12:42:01 EST 2017

Ruth,

Presumably, if you:
* enter the correct closing balance, and then
* reconcile: a) the opening balance transaction, and b) the remaining transactions that match the statement,

Then, the reconcile should work out. This assumes that your opening transaction accurately reflects the total of all the earlier transactions.

Of course, by closing your GnuCash file before reconciling out everything in the file, you’re granting the bank the benefit of the doubt with regard to the unreconciled transactions in the earlier file. That might suggest that next time around, you wait until after everything is reconciled for the year before you split the file. I don’t know, as I don’t close my file, and I am not an accountant.

David