Starting a new year

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:44:23 EST 2017

On 3 February 2017 at 16:27, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> There is a "Close Books" function (in the Tools menu) which will roll up
>> all the Income/Expense transactions up to the closing date into Equity.
>> However, this will not create a new set of books, and it wont "lock"
>> anything because there is no such thing as "locking" in GnuCash.
>

> Derek,
>
>   That's different from the previous software so I'll ask my accountant
> (after tax season, of course) how she wants me to handle this. As far as I'm
> concerned it does not matter as long as I can get account summaries for
> specific date ranges.

You can do that without closing the books, just specify the
appropriate dates for the reports.

If you want to keep an un-modifiable version of the accounts for the
each year just copy the .gnucash file to a CD at the end of the year.
Then just carry on using the original file for the next year.

Colin