Report to locate Unrealized Gains

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Tue Feb 7 01:01:06 EST 2017

Hi David C,

Totally agree.

Regards, Chris Good

From: David Carlson [mailto:david.carlson.417 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 7 February 2017 1:32 PM
To: Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au>
Cc: David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>; gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: RE: Report to locate Unrealized Gains

Chris,

This will be short as I am still on my goofy tablet.

I think that there are many users like him and me that have mountains of
transactions that may not have realized gains correctly entered so one report
printed out or saved to PDF could be used one. Sunday afternoon after the
football season is over towork on them without going through the lather rinse
repeat process. Would be of great benefit.

Since the lot identification process does not always work for realized gains
that were entered using a different method than currently prescribed this is
still a potentially Herculean task.

I started to propose a manual way to generate such a report but it needs
refinement to weed out useless clutter.

David C

On Feb 6, 2017 7:27 PM, "Chris Good" <chris.good at ozemail.com.au
<mailto:chris.good at ozemail.com.au> > wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 17:25:41 +0500
> From: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com <mailto:sunfish62 at yahoo.com> >
> To: Gnucash <gnucash-user at gnucash.org <mailto:gnucash-user at gnucash.org> >
> Subject: Report to locate Unrealized Gains
>
> Hello,
>
> The recent discussion regarding the Trial Balance and Balance Sheet
reports
> got me to wondering whether there is any way to list transactions that
create
> unrealized gains? It would be nice to be able to locate those transactions
in
> the ten years of data I have in my data file. Trying to dig them out from
the
> many accounts and transactions is not a fruitful use of time?
>
> TIA,
> David

Hi David,

There is no such report as far as I know.
Such a report would be useful although only for those who haven't known to
run a TB after each sale to check their capital gain/loss transaction is
correct.
A work-around would be to use the trial balance to do a binary search over
the transaction date range to identify which is the first date containing
transactions that cause the TB to go out of balance, and then use a
transaction report, which lists transactions for all investment accounts in
date order, to identify which investments had Sell transactions on those
dates. Repeat after fixing each problem.

Regards, Chris Good