CHARITY ACCOUNTING PROBLEMS

Seacook seacook42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 22:54:22 EST 2017

Hi,
Many thanks for the comments.
I was already thinking along similar lines and have been playing with
the following set up.
The basic scheme is straightforward. Donations come in as income, are
contra-ed to Accounts Receivable in the usual way and the monies
received into the bank account.
I have set up a new top level Virtual Accounts (under Assets but it
could equally be under Liabilities as it stands in isolation) with both
Beneficiary and Donor accounts, contra-ed to a virtual Contra Account in
the same hierarchy.  This eliminates any problems with moving money
between the virtual accounts but allows for a complete record.
Also in the hierarchy of virtual accounts are monthly  Transfer Accounts
which allow me to specify how much and whose account is being
(virtually) debited for Supplies to Beneficiaries.  The bills are, of
course, paid with real money out of the Charity's bank or cash accounts.
So far, I haven't encountered any problems, apart from having to write
in the donations from the real bank account to the Donor Accounts and
split the beneficiary payments back to the Beneficiary accounts.
A couple of questions do occur to me.
Is there any mileage in creating another top level category specifically
for virtual accounts which would be ignored by Balance Sheet and Profit
& Loss accounts?
and
Can it be made possible to copy and paste the credits and debits between
the real and the virtual accounts?
Philip Allum