GnuCash import from Quicken 2007 on OSX

dbowen DanEms at enkito.com
Wed Feb 22 17:52:56 EST 2017

Derek wrote:

> Can you just drop the classes?  Or could you turn them into subaccounts?
> I.e., change LMed:Doctor/DJB to LMed:Doctor:DJB ?
>
> < earlier text removed >

Derek,

A Class removal is, IMHO, not possible.
I am open to arguments indicating foolishness on my part.

A restructure like you propose is possible, but I'm nervous having not checked all historical
data for applicability. My Category/Class structure has migrated over the years.

Question: -- Can GnuCash restructure any <out of order> accounts in the COA into more cogent ones easily?
[ Can /Expenses/Medical/.../<person>... be changed en-mass to /Expenses/Medical/<person>/... ]

I also have to report /Expenses/Insurance/MedPremium, DentalPremium, CmsPremium and the
individual payments for service (Doctor, Dentist, Pharmacy, Glasses, Durable Supplies, Transportation ...)
for myself and my wife. We qualify for medicare, so reporting is more extensive than it used to be.

--
For a specific instance:
	My Class for vehicles is most amenable to a Class->Category change (as long as GnuCash can restructure it later)

	Other Classes cause far more problems due to the multiple uses they represent as my thinking changed.
	I have already changed some Classes in earlier years to Category entries for last year, but not everything is so modified.
	Given the tight deadline to get an 1st-guess 1040 ready, I don't think I have the resources to do so.

	I also have Classes that tag transactions in most all categories. The ones for my wife and I are best examples.
	I have tagged CreditCard data with the one who created the request so reconciliation is less fraught.
	I have tagged Grocery data with the same tags. This tagging is probably unnecessary, but I cannot remove the Class
		without removing it everywhere.

	Turning the Class into a Category is a exceedingly tedious process.
	I must find all occurrences of a given category-path+class-path use,
		- run a GUI find/replace with manual entry --and--
		- correctly recognize when the current pattern-find/change request for a single-item is NOT indicated.
	IMHO, multiple Category paths for a transaction may require different results even though
		a given class is present in both.

	Can the same things be handled with an all-accounts export to *.qif or
		does the absence of an account inside the *.qif
		cause problems for the script (perl, python, ???) that would be required?
	Can an account-by-account export make things easier?

I checked my Quicken 2007 reporting capabilities to see how they might help recognizing special-cases.
I can sort by either Class or Category, but not by both.
I can only sort by Account, Amount, Category, Check#, Class, Date, Memo or Payee.
Any change to the sort-by option discards the existing report and generates a new one.

I also know I am VERRRRRY near the storage limit in this version of Quicken.
( A full transaction report for an account failed to finish after running overnight and generating 700k pages! )
If I add more categories, I have no idea if I can complete the category update process.

Thanks for listening.

Dan
--

--