GnuCash import from Quicken 2007 on OSX

dbowen DanEms at enkito.com
Fri Feb 24 14:56:58 EST 2017

> On Feb 24, 2017, at 9:32 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> dbowen <DanEms at enkito.com> writes:
>
>> Derek,
>>
>> A Class removal is, IMHO, not possible.
>> I am open to arguments indicating foolishness on my part.

Derek,

< note: PRIOR included text skipped for the purpose of these next questions >
< note: I will digest the removed text, but I have an important question about what I have found for QIF parsing tools >

The main tool I've found is the Python module qifparse (v0.5).

Can I use that to merge the individual pieces of a split-transaction so that they are grouped together for tweaking
before GnuCash import? (--or-- do I not understand what qifparse does ? )

I've read that the GnuCash import must bring the multiple pieces together.
I assume it is for import efficiency. That efficiency helps gather like entries for entry -or- editing.

1)	Can I do the same with qifparse?
	(For instance, can I create a sed-or-Perl manageable flat file that I can modify ? )
	(--or-- do I not understand what qifparse generates ? )

2)	Can I somehow intercept the GnuCash import process to capture the split transactions en masse for modification?

If neither, I am nervous about my ability to understand the intricacies of GnuCash import on top of being a Python novice.

>> I also know I am VERRRRRY near the storage limit in this version of Quicken.
>> ( A full transaction report for an account failed to finish after running overnight and generating 700k pages! )
>> If I add more categories, I have no idea if I can complete the category update process.
>

> Don't add them in Quicken.  Export what you have and massage the QIF
> file before you import it into GnuCash!  Much easier, much faster, and
> gives you the ability to try different things to see how you like it.

I understand your words, but still doubt my ability to recognize the oncoming-train-in-the-tunnel :-)

Are there other extant tools for parsing QIF files, or is qifparse the best available?
( I assume qifparse handles Y2K date problems and other QIF-quirks )

Are there Perl modules just as smart?

Thanks for listening ( ..still.. )

Dan

--