How To Stop GnuCash from Saying It Cannot Find a Specific File

Greg Feneis mfeneis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:59:19 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Bored Accountant <
ddoak at student.morainepark.edu> wrote:

> No offence, but that seems like bad programming. For example, in the
> Audacity audio editing program, when you move or delete a project and then
> click the "Open" menu function, Audacity will throw the error that it
> cannot
> find the file, *but then Audacity will remove the project from the "Recent"
> menu*. And that's not the only piece of software that will account for
> people deleting or moving files. In fact, most software will not only have
> "failsafe" code programed into the software to specifically handle these
> types of situations; but will even give you the option to delete files from
> within the software thus avoiding the situation altogether. I noticed that
> GnuCash doesn't even have an option to delete files from within the
> software. Again, this seems like bad programming.

​I think in the case of GnuCash, it mines MRU data directly from the OS.
The most recently used file will be the file that GnuCash most recently
opened.  This is what causes the behavior you don't like.

Some applications track their own MRU tallies, and can extend permission to
the user to edit (remove from the list, etc.).

Maybe one day.  But for all that GnuCash offers, it's already very
awesome.  We've got a great community of friendly helpful people with a
nice variety of experiences, and that's pretty awesome too.  I used to pay
money to get far worse.  This is a paradox I truly enjoy.

  I don't sweat the small stuff and I contribute $$ when I can.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis