Transitioning to gnucash

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 3 09:12:49 EST 2017

   I used gnucash while running Red Hat 4.0-7.0, but could not find a gnome
surrogate to support it when I switched to Slackware in 2003. I've not been
happy with the applications I've used since then for both business and
personal bookkeeping. Slackware now has a gnucash package and it's time for
me to move data to it so yesterday I installed version 2.6.13.

   Yesterday I read the introductory portion of the gnucash-help doc and
tried to set up the personal account first. This did not work well so I'd
appreciate advice.

   Perhaps I've not yet read enough in the docs to understand how to set up
two separate accounts: personal and business (a sole professional services
provider).

   I have a CoA for the personal account as a .qif file. When I started with
File -> New the new account setup assistant popped up as expected, but I
don't need to manually create accounts (I hope!) given the existing file, so
I closed that. Next I tried File -> Import -> Import QIF; after specifying
the directory and .qif file and clicked the 'Start' button to load the data
gnucash crashed; a segfault as reported by logwatch:

  WARNING:  Segmentation Faults in these executables
     gnucash :  1 Time(s)

   As I'm not familiar with .qif files I wonder if it's corrupted somehow;
looks like a regular text file to me with a tab-indented list of Income and
Expense accounts.

   How should I proceed to initialize both accounts and what might cause the
segfault when trying to import that CoA list?

Rich