Some questions about tracking personal finances

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 13:30:03 EST 2017

Replicon,

This is a lot to ask; I’ll weigh in on what I can. Note: IANAA. These are my personal ideas.

1) The Tax-Related aspect of GnuCash is cumbersome to set up, but once it is set up, works rather nicely for a US tax summary—for me at least. To attach an account to a particular tax line, open the Tax Report Options dialog, locate the account which you want to include, identify the tax line it pertains to (e.g., W-2 Wages, Self) and save. Note that you have to do this process one account at a time. The only exception: if you have multiple accounts that you want to assign to the same tax line, you can select them all and assign them at once. This is why it is cumbersome to set up. Once they are set up, you can run the TXF report and get a tax summary.

2) Pre-tax lines can complicate things, since they affect the total earnings line. You can try to split your payroll income into Taxed and Untaxed, but my experience is that pay stubs don’t give you that total pretax number, forcing you to figure out which lines are pretax, add them up, enter this pretax figure, and then deduct that from the earnings total. It’s not rocket science, but it can be a hassle!

3) I find it best to have separate expense accounts for anything I either plan to receive a tax statement on (e.g., brokerage dividend statements), or want to enter on a particular line (e.g., Expenses:Business:Equipment). Then, I assign these accounts to particular tax lines.

Skipping 4 & 5 & 6.

7) I have Expenses:Charity, which I attach to the appropriate tax line. They aren’t negative income; they are deductible expenses, however.

8) You write off goods at a different (IRS-defined) value. Personally, I use an online service (ItsDeductible) to enter donation descriptions, which provides me with a deduction value based on typical assessments. I imagine you could write a spreadsheet to do the same. Note that I am not using GnuCash for this.

9) Income:Other Income -> Assets:Cash (if you really need to put it in)

10) I’d list it as Income:Other Income->Assets:Cash, but I imagine there are more principled, accountantly ways of handling this.

HTH,
David