Transitioning to gnucash

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Wed Jan 4 15:01:48 EST 2017

On 1/3/2017 6:49 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:
>
>> You should report this as a bug, if an invalid file causes an
>> application
>> to crash. That should never happen, irrespective of whether the file is
>> .qif, .gmp, .jpg, .ext or anything else. Software should check the
>> format
>> of the file and either parse it or not. It should not crash.
That is what is called "input editing"

Many decades ago, when in the "training pool" for my new job as
programmer, I noticed that the "case problem" we had been given to write
did not specify input editing. So I went to the instructors, pointing
this out, and asking shouldn't I put in full input editing. They began
laughing and told me "Don't do that Mike. If you do, you won't get the
practice solving dumps we intended." (the idea was to drive home to us
new programmers, don't trust the input. << actually, turned out I was
solving the dumps so fast they moved me to an "advanced dumps class"
going on the same time for programmers who had been on the floor a
couple years.

A program should not hang regardless of how bad the input is. o yes, if
it does, that's a bug. When writing a new program, you don't just give
it the data as expected; you make sure it won't hang even if garbage
coming in.

Michael D Novack