how to account for application of donations ?

Anita Graves anitagraves at mac.com
Thu Jan 5 08:57:15 EST 2017

I have a question which is also related to donations and how to record them.

I am the treasurer of a religious organization.  I receive contributions of amounts which are actually given in lieu of reimbursements for expenses (like cleaning the meeting venue, etc.)  These are exactly the same as cash transactions:  For instance, the custodian of the building asks for cash to reimburse her for paying  the cleaning lady, but instead decides to make that her contribution to the local fund.  I think this could be a single one-line transaction:

Income : (Contributions) in lieu of reimbursement for cleaning expense  >  Expense : Cleaning the Center

wherein I pretend I give her cash to reimburse her for the cleaning, and she hands it back to me as her contribution to the local fund.

Am I wrong in this very simple way to handle these kinds of contributions?

Thank you for your help,
Anita