Investments and minimizing the account structure?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 02:44:56 EST 2017

Andrew,
I'm not sure how you would maintain any kind of useful information for holdings in such an account. Each account in Gnucash has to be denominated in one commodity (dollars, shares of AAPL, etc. ). If you tried to combine all your holdings into one account, you would not be able to identify how many shares of each you owned.
David

  On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 7:44, Andrew Gross<biz.aeg at gmail.com> wrote:   Tracking investments (stocks, mutual funds, etc.) requires a separate
account for each type of security.  Am thinking this is part of a strict
usage of double-entry accounting.  However, I am curious as to whether it
is reasonably possible where the number of accounts is minimized to where
the securities are held.  For example, recording all transactions for a set
of securities that are maintained at one investment company and the account
therefore is just the account at that that company, like a checking account
is associated with the name of the bank + the checking account number.
Part of my thinking is I wonder how day traders would use GnuCash; I
couldn't imagine their creating a separate account for every security.
Maybe this method would not have as many features as proper
double-accounting but would work to a certain degree; or am I missing
something and it would not work at all or work very badly?

Kind regards,

Andrew Gross
NYC