Transaction Date Question

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:47:48 EST 2017

Ask your accountant how he would handle this in a pen-and-paper accounting
setup. Once you do that, we can tell you how to do it in GnuCash.

It seems odd to me that you would have a statutory requirement to recognize
income on two different dates for two different purposes. In general, it's
not possible to recognize the income twice in the same set of books, which
would be what's necessary to have two different dates. Usually, income is
recognized at either the time of payment (which is when the check is paid)
or at the time of the invoice (even if it isn't paid then). I find it hard
to believe that the time between when the check is issued and the check is
deposited has any meaning at all. I find it hard to believe that the tax
authorities would set up a situation where you are required to keep double
books. But I could be wrong. Tax authorities can be strange.

I really would ask your accountant how they suggest doing it using paper
books. Give them a complex but realistic scenario (I inspected 5 houses for
Prudential on 15 December, I issued them an invoice for it on 20 December,
they dated the payment check on 28 December, postmarked it 28 January, and
I received it on 4 February. I deposited it on 7 February), and see how
they says it should be entered. That scenario covers the 2-4 month lag
between services rendered and payment, plus disparities in the date of the
check, the date it was mailed (what Mike called "constructive delivery"
date), the date it was received, and the date it was delivered. It crosses
a year boundary, which raises the issue of which year (or years) does the
income count for for each tax, etc. Ask them how to compute the GRT and
Income taxes with respect to the scenario.

If they say "separate books", then that's the way to go. On the other hand,
they may clarify that there is only one important date (which I could argue
for any of the dates listed between 20 December (invoice date) and 4
February (when I received the check), Mike would argue for 28 January as
the "constructive delivery" date, and I can see that, too). If they pick
one important date for tax purposes, go with that.

If two dates are important, then one possible solution without using two
books, vaguely hinted at in Mike's answer, is to use an intermediary
account (like Assets:Received Payments) and when you get a check enter a
transaction Assets:Received Payments <- Income:Services, notated with the
check number, payer, etc, using the date on the check (or the postmark
date, as per Mike's suggestion), and then when you deposit it, you can
enter a transaction Assets:Bank <- Assets:Received Payments. In that case,
each check will end up with two splits in Assets:Received Payments, both
tagged by the check number, one a debit, one a credit, but with different
dates. A report looking at transfers between the two asset accounts would
provide the info needed for the GRT, and the standard income reports will
provide the info needed for the Fed/State taxes.

I believe in the past I have entered in bank deposits using multiple splits
from Assets:Cash On Hand in order to handle multiple checks I was
depositing at once, so it should be possible to have both one split per
check, and one split per deposit (for reconciliation purposes).