Limits of gnucash

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:41:47 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:29 AM Les <lelliott5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I missed something, but how did you determine your number of
> accounts, transactiona and splits?  I don't believe I have anywhere near
> your totals, but my compressed GC file is 3.9 Mb.

On my Mac, I just tried the following commands at the command line:

$ cp Testing.gnucash Testing.gnucash.xml.gz
$ gunzip Testing.gnucash.xml.gz
$ grep -c "<act:id " Testing.gnucash.xml
$ grep -c "<trn:id " Testing.gnucash.xml
$ grep -c "<split:id " Testing.gnucash.xml

The space between the ":id" and the end-quote is deliberate and necessary.

The same should work under Linux, and on Windows machines with cygwin or
mingw setups. I don't know the equivalent under Windows alone.