Limits of gnucash

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 10 16:38:25 EST 2017

On 11/01/2017 02:05, Securenym.net wrote:
> What compression is being used?  I use Apple’s compression plus any intrinsic compression to software.  Different compression algorithms have differing efficiencies and trade offs.  Encryption also changes the relative efficiencies of the algorithms, depending on how the encryption is set up.
Gnucash compresses its files using gzip. Gzip uses LZ77 followed by
Huffmann coding (DEFLATE). ZIP also uses DEFLATE, but its file format is
different.

Once a file has been compressed by gzip, compressing it again using
another compression tool is unlikely to make the file smaller by any
significant amount.

Gnucash doesn't have built-in encryption. If you're using volume-level
encryption, then it will compress first, then encrypt. Any half-way good
encryption should make the file pretty much impossible to compress if
you encrypt first.

Peter