Limits of gnucash

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Tue Jan 10 20:16:26 EST 2017

On 2017-01-10 13:01, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 1/10/2017 10:05 AM, Securenym.net wrote:
>> What compression is being used?  I use Apple’s compression plus any
>> intrinsic compression to software.  Different compression algorithms
>> have differing efficiencies and trade offs.  Encryption also changes
>> the relative efficiencies of the algorithms, depending on how the
>> encryption is set up.
>>
>> Walt
> A GOOD encryption algorithm would result in data that was not
> compressible (or barely so). The compressibility of data is inversely
> related to its randomness. Random data is not compressible at all.
> Encrypted data will be at least pseudo-random.

Almost.  This would apply to compression using data from within a single
file to generate the compression table.  However, when using a
system-wide compression algorithm, encryption does not affect
compression efficiency that much.  The reason is that the algorithm has
the ability to pull from many files across the entire system where the
chances of repeated sequences is greater.  Note that this does not
necessarily mean that the repeated sequences represent the same clear
text, that depends on the specific encryption algorithm.