Limits of gnucash

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Jan 11 06:52:11 EST 2017

I can't answer your question with precise information. I can tell that
purchasing an ssd will only affect file opening and saving, considering all
data is kept in memory. Of course when using auto save it makes a big
difference if the time to save the file drops from 4 minutes to say 30 seconds
(no actual measurements, just as illustration).

In general I don't think gnucash was designed for the amounts of data you
speak of, but is scaling relatively well. Your mileage may vary of course,
depending on your hardware and patience (and importing all that data will
likely be a challenge).

However I recently got a copy of a fairly large gnucash data file from a
customer. The A/R and A/P accounts have about 25.000 splits each.

Some statistics:
* Number of accounts: 123
* Number of transactions: 44468
* Number of splits: 136352

gnucash): 1m15s
* Opening the A/P or A/R account by double-clicking it in the Account
hierarchy: 2s
* I haven't ran any other performance tests on this file.

This is on a recent PC, Z170 (Skylake) motherboard with an Intel(R) Core(TM)
i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz and 16G of RAM and a samsung SSD (older model).
Gnucash is using about 650Mb of resident memory with this file loaded.

Regards,

Geert