How safe is GnuCash?

70147persson at telia.com 70147persson at telia.com
Wed Jan 11 14:10:18 EST 2017

How safe is GnuCash? No, I am not talking about lack of bugs etc, but
from an auditor's point of view. How to secure that no one is
manipulating the figures in the book? The best way of book keeping is
an, in advance paginated, paper book, in which you write your notes with
non erasable ink. Then, if I make a mistake, I have to make a change by
drawing a straight line (in ink) over the wrong figures and write the
correct ones next to the original and sign it with my signature. That
way the auditor can see all changes and can verify it to the written
documents/verifications.

A good electronic book keeping system should be as close to these
(manual) methods as possible, and I have also seen such programs. An
already written and accepted notation can never be changed in such a
program, but substituted with the correct one next to the original.
Moreover there are log files, protected with checksums, where all
transactions are noted.

Does GnuCash have anything of this? My impression is no, but I might
have missed something important. If not  the program is not much better
then a simple spread sheet, which some people use, although a wee easier
to use. When using GnuCash or any book keeping program, in professional
business, and if I was the auditor I would demand these facilities, to
make sure that no way exist to manipulate the book after the original
book keeping .

/Kaj