How safe is GnuCash?

Adrien Monteleone webmaster at earlsfurniture.biz
Wed Jan 11 21:49:16 EST 2017

If using paper, I would never draw through an incorrect transaction. I think the proper method is to make a correcting entry and use notes as needed to explain what was done.

The same can be done with GnuCash.

I’ll let those more knowledgeable be the definitive chime in, but I don’t think GnuCash has the type of data security you describe in mind. I would expect that level of security to be a function of your operating system and file access permissions. As for editing previous entries, the app was designed with the ability to do that intentionally. I think the best you can do is close your books periodically as needed, manually transfer rolling balances to a new file as needed and archive and lock access to the older file. Of course, this complicates reporting over many periods. You would have to run all necessary period reports before closing and archiving, and then have a separate system for accessing/combining reports for analysis. You might gain some advantages over paper books in this setup, but not by much. This doesn’t even address ‘creative’ transactions, or transactions of immaterial amounts that add up to material questions and discrepancies over long periods of time.