gnucash: dealing with 'imbalance' account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 06:42:43 EST 2017

> On Jan 13, 2017, at 2:55 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 20:46:15 +0000
> Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you mean a split showing the imbalance account but empty value
>> fields? If so then just delete the account name (imbalance) for that
>> split and hit enter and that row will disappear.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> You can't edit this from the "imbalance" account. You need to use the
> "Jump" feature to go to the another split and edit it from there.
>
> Liz

Actually, Liz, you can edit these from the Imbalance account. There are a couple of ways:

Open the transaction in split view, tab to the Imbalance account entry, and:
1) If the split has value, change it to another account, or
2) If the split has no value, clear the account information altogether.

The trick is that you have to *TAB*—not press Enter—off the split line. When you tab off the split in the Imbalance account, the transaction will disappear from the Imbalance register. I use this method to be sure any Imbalance entries get cleared up.

Note that using the Delete button on the Imbalance splt will not work; GnuCash will tell you you can’t. It occurs to me to wonder why that action is prevented through one modality, but not through others.

HTH,
David