Advanced Portfolio Income (maybe Brokerage Fees too) incorrect in switch and multiple investments transactions

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jan 13 18:29:39 EST 2017

From: Alberto Dante [mailto:alberto.dante at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 13 January 2017 9:48 PM
To: Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au>
Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: Advanced Portfolio Income (maybe Brokerage Fees too) incorrect in switch and multiple investments transactions

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your clarifications.
I'm not a programmer, so I'm not aware of consequences of my suggestions (I apologize for this trouble).
Please just have a look at two my notes below.
Everything else ok (specially manual integration).
Thanks for your kindness and patience.
Regards, Alberto

Hi Alberto,

Re your comment: Please note that FUND 5 dividend reinvest translation involves only one stock :

You seem to be saying that ‘Money In’ should include cost of stock acquired as part of the DRP but that is not what the APR does.

As per https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/report-classes.html#report-assets :

Money In: Sum of the cost of stock purchased, excluding stock acquired as part of a Dividend Reinvestment Plan. I.e. External money used to purchase shares.

In this case, you SHOULD to do the dividend and the addition of the stock in the 1 transaction so that APR knows the addition was from the DRP.

If you do it as 2 transactions, APR doesn’t know that the stock was acquired as part of the DRP, although maybe this is what you really want.

Re your suggestion that the APR can use the fact that the Stock Account is one level of the full fees/dividends/capital gains account to determine which stock the split should be applied to:

That seems a reasonable way to do it. The code would have to cater for the fact that different people have different chart set ups.

For instance, your example uses

Income:Finance:Investments:Broker DEF:Mutual Fund:FUND 5:Dividend

But mine is

Income:Dividend:FUND 5:Franked:Chris

Regards, Chris Good